Considering the convenience of online doctor consultations, many people opt for an online approach as the first step to addressing their health issues. Consulting a doctor online for any health issue has various benefits for the patient. It saves time and money and provides several recommendations in the comfort of your home.
But what if the health issue is severe and needs immediate and reliable treatment. For example, commonly occurring dengue fever can prove fatal if not addressed timely.
What is Dengue Fever?
Dengue fever is a virus-borne disease spread by the Aedes aegypti mosquito. The disease is transmitted exclusively through a dengue-infected mosquito, not directly from one person to another. The condition is most widespread in Southeast Asia and the western Pacific islands, spreading rapidly in Latin America and the Caribbean.
The four primary viruses that cause the sickness are DEN-1, DEN-2, DEN-3, and DEN-4. Dengue fever is sometimes known as break-bone fever because it can produce intense muscular and joint pain that makes you feel as if your bones are breaking.
Symptoms of Dengue Fever
Dengue fever symptoms vary depending on age and usually begin with fever symptoms 4 to 7 days after being bitten by an infected insect. The following are the most prevalent symptoms of typical dengue:
- Fever can reach up to 105 degrees Fahrenheit
- Muscle and joint ache that is excruciating
- Extensive headache
- A red rash appears first on the chest, back, or stomach and then spreads to the limbs and face
- Vomiting and nausea
Dengue hemorrhagic fever, a more severe viral infection, occurs in certain dengue fever patients. This type of dengue fever is potentially fatal, and it can proceed to dengue shock syndrome, the most severe form of the disease. Among the symptoms are:
- Haemorrhage ( causes bleeding in the body)
- Bleeding in the nose or gums
- Petechiae (evidence of purple or red spots, blisters under the skin)
Dengue Risk Factors
The following variables can increase your chance of contracting dengue fever:
- Living in or travelling to tropical locations where dengue fever is endemic increases your risk of contracting the virus that causes the illness.
- If you have already been exposed to the dengue virus, you are more susceptible to its symptoms.
Is it Beneficial to Consult a Doctor Online in Case of Dengue Fever?
If you are affected by dengue fever, online doctor consultation must be your first response to address your infection status. As soon as you identify the initial symptoms of dengue and are suspicious about the infection, it would be best if you did not rush out to any doctor physically. Instead, you can consult the clinic online and inform them about what you are experiencing.
- The dengue fever specialist panel gets all of your health concerns. A dengue fever specialist will select your query and send medical advice on your health issue.
- You can then make an appointment with the same dengue fever doctor. For dengue fever, you must consult a physician or a doctor who treats infectious diseases.
- To confirm the actual reason for the symptoms, you can always contact different doctors online. The doctor will conveniently address your concern and can easily find out if the symptoms are not dengue.
- Only in case of severity the doctor might ask you for a physical visit.
Dengue fever has no recognised cure. However, your doctor may prescribe pain relievers and fever reducers such as acetaminophen. In addition, if you have dengue hemorrhagic fever, your doctor may advise you to:
- Monitoring of blood pressure
- Hospitalized palliative care
- Replacement of intravenous fluids and electrolytes
- Transfusion to compensate for blood loss
What are the Preventive Measures for Dengue Fever?
- Keep your body covered with full pants and long-sleeve shirts.
- To avoid dengue infection from mosquito bites, use an EPA-approved mosquito repellent.
- Apply fabric-friendly mosquito repellents if possible.
- Close your home or business doors and windows to prevent mosquitoes from entering. Install windows and door nets for more protection.
- Do not allow stagnant water to accumulate in or around your home.
- Avoid dengue fever. Avoid going to places with stagnant water, especially at dusk and dawn.
You can also opt for suitable online doctor consultation plans that offer financial assistance, discounts on medicines and radiology and pathology tests. You can get instant medical help online for dengue treatment as well. Online doctor consultation also comes as a boon in the present pandemic where people choose to stay home and get the desired treatment for their medical issues.