During this time, Muslims are obligated to pay 2.5% Zakat for their assets that they have not used in more than a lunar year. This was managed after performing some calculations by ‘Wakalah’ or trustees appointed by the awqaf board on behalf of the mosque where they served as donors.
However, some people are using this opportunity to dupe ignorant members of society, especially at mosques, by promising them unlimited wealth while blaming Allah SAW that he does not want them to be rich without giving Zakat.
The Prophet Muhammad SAW has never known to dupe people in this manner, and he has even shown the way to increase one’s wealth by giving Zakat. It is stated in a hadith that if there is an increase in wealth after paying Zakat. Then such Zakat can be used for other purposes, for example, for one’s children’s education or when looking for marriage.
The following are some Benefits Offered by Zakat
- Protection from hellfire: Zakat will free you from hellfire, and it will protect your generations after you (Ibn Hajar Al-Haitami). Because Allah SWT said: “and spend in the Path of Allah and do not throw yourselves into destruction” (2:195). It was narrated that Abu Sa’id said, “The Messenger of Allah SAW was asked about the verse ‘And spend in the Path of Allah”. He said, «”It means Jihad.»” (Tafsir Ibn Kathir).
- A charity can be used to save one’s life by feeding or clothing him. Zakat is not only for the poor, but it is also for your good. Because you are required to pay it on your assets every year, whether they gained or lost value. As mentioned above, if an increase in wealth after paying Zakat. Zakat can be used for other purposes, such as marriage or children’s education.
Umrah or pilgrimage will be easier:
- As for those who are rich, they are obliged to pay Zakat first before performing Umrah. It is because if not, they are subject to the fidyah (penalty). Which is feeding ten poor people or clothing them. As mentioned in Surah Al-Tawbah verse 89 where Allah said: انْفِرُوا خِفَافًا وَثِقَالا وَجَاءُوا بِسَلَمٍ لَّسْتَ مُؤْمِنًا تَعْبُدُونَ انْتُمْ لِرَبِّكُمْ تَخْلَفُونَ
O You who believe, make your way easier (make the course shorter) for yourselves (by observing Saum (fasts), etc.), and
(2:189) up to His saying; و إ ِن ي مَسَـها الله في شيء فاصبر واحتسب “if Allah wills any hardship for you, then do not say!” Instead, one should say: ‘we are, Allah willing, patient’ (Tafsir Ibn Kathir)
Please visit: Online zakat calculator
- It increases the love between you and your Muslim brothers. Because it is a form of support they provide to achieve common goals in their lives.
- A woman can perform all activities even during her monthly cycle time if she has paid her Zakat. Allah SWT said: و م ا ينزل ال ع غيره من الملائكة و لو نزل بها ربك لوَدِدْتُمْ أَنَّكُمْ أَصْحَابُ السَّموتِ و الارْض,” and there should come down along with the angels other (angels), who have not yet known (come to know) of such things, and your Rubb said: «I shall settle all those also who are in your hearts [awliya’]»(8:24).”
It increases the love between you and your Muslim brothers. Because it is a form of support they provide to achieve common goals in their lives.
- Your sins will be forgiven if you keep on giving Zakat. It was narrated that Abu Sa’id Al Khudri said: “The Messenger of Allah SAW used to give charity every Monday. He would come out and proclaim, ‘O People! The charity has been made obligatory upon you,’ three times. He would then say, ‘It is not permissible for any Muslim man who has something to be given as Zakat. But that he must pay Zakat pertaining to it…’»(Tafsir Ibn Kathir)
And in another hadith narrated by Abu Sa’id al-Khudri, the Messenger of Allah صلى الله عليه وسلم said regarding Zakat property: «إن فيها أدعية لم يسألها أحد من الناس» “Verily in it is a Ṣadaqa (charity) for people who do not ask [for charity]” [Sunan an-Nasa’i Volume 3, Book 19, Hadith 1671]