Progressive Web App (PWA) is a web application that defines a type of web app that lives on the web but has boosted the abilities to make it look like other native apps on our mobile, tablet, and computer. It is wrapped in the body of a cross-platform that makes it faster, easier, and cheaper than any other native app. PWAs support different functions that are not available for regular websites such as push notifications, offline work, camera, microphone, etc. Maintenance and deployment have become much easier with PWA and this is one of the reasons developers love PWA app development.
PWA development basics
Various web technologies make Progressive Web Apps more powerful. Four core building bricks of Progressive Web Apps (PWAs) are given below-
- Service workers- This is the technical foundation of PWAs, and through this code, the browser enables offline work for web applications.
- Application Shell- It offers instant and reliably good performance for users on their repeated site visits.
- HTTPS- HTTPS stands for Hypertext Transfer Protocol Secure, and it helps to secure user’s data via bi-directional encryption.
- Web App Manifest- It is a JSON file and it installs a PWA as a separate app to your home screen.
Why choose to React for building a Progressive Web App?
- Very powerful- React is very popular in building scalable and fast web apps by avoiding performance issues. JSS apps often face performance issues related to DOM (Document Object Model) manipulation. DOM is the structural representation of the web page, allowing programming languages to interact with it. However, React uses virtual DOM to make UI changes without reloading the entire page and risking rendering difficulties. React also reduces page loading time by providing faster speed.
- Well-equipped- React JS has varieties of tools, libraries, and boilerplates for the developers for easy debugging, testing, and designing. Developers can choose any tool from the variety of options that suits their particular task the most. All the tools are well-equipped for the best PWA app development.
- SEO-friendly- React helps in building an SEO-friendly website with the help of virtual DOM. The most common SEO-related issue is a failure in Web Rendering Service while working with heavy applications. But React library has solved this issue for the developers.
- Large Active Community- There is a large active community of React JS developers who are spread all over the world to solve the queries and also to build PWA web pages. The community of React developers is strong and responsible.
Advantages of React for building PWA
- React can be installed very easily, and hence the project to work in it can also be launched within very little time.
- React creates a responsive User Interface, it also offers the perfect opportunity to retrieve and record dynamically changing data.
- React extraordinarily works with and speeds up the advancement of web apps, due to their component-based structure.
- React can work for any kind of project including a Single Page Application(SPA) or a complex web or mobile app.
- This technology has a large community of developers all over the world to offer their helping hands to the new and aspiring React developers.
- This technology can be merged with other libraries and frameworks for better web app development.
Customize your PWA using React
As already discussed above, React technology is very useful for creating PWA pages and bringing the best of mobile sites and native apps to users. But you can also customize your web page with React, apart from only having an offline experience. Some of the other factors are-
- The web app can be added to your home screen.
- The app contains a name and an icon that can be easily customized.
- The moment you start your app, a splash screen will be displayed to you.
In this write-up, we have discussed many energizing themes about Progressive Web Applications and ways to create a PWA with React. Likewise, we have talked about prominent PWA models and analyzed some high-level components. Numerous world-known organizations and small businesses have benefited from PWAs. So it is an ideal opportunity to begin acquiring benefits from this vigorous and promising technology. Hence it can be concluded that PWAs are very easy and fun to create using React to provide customers a native app-like experience. The already created React file can also be converted to a PWA. Creating PWA React for new businesses is trending now as it enables configuration, creation, convey, and distribution of PWAs for billions of gadgets using advancements they’re familiar with.