Every year, many international students migrate to Australia to study and, after their experiences at an Australian institute, they start planning to stay forever. One of the strategies they take is to enrol in a professional year program. Studying a professional year course Adelaide or anywhere in Australia will help you develop communication skills, increase your knowledge of Australian culture and boost your practical experience.
Furthermore, it allows an overseas student to earn five valuable points in your permanent residency application. This blog will help you learn how a professional course can benefit an international student in Australia.
A student, who has recently finished graduation from an Australian University, can enrol in a professional year program to get formal learning and work experience.
- Remember, these courses are only available for students who have graduated in Accounting, Engineering, and Computer Science. These programs cover 44 weeks, in which 32 weeks are specified for coursework, and 12 weeks are designed for internship.
- Through detailed theoretical study and work experience, you can develop relevant skills required to work in an Australian industrial sector. So, not only can you find a decent Australian job but also you can live permanently in this beautiful country.
- These courses will help you achieve the maximum potential and great professional opportunities. Quite naturally, studying and investing in the course would be beneficial.
- Any international student who has completed graduation in Computer Science, Accounting, and Engineering, from an educational institute in Australia can enrol in a professional year program in Adelaide.
- You must hold a skilled-graduate visa that will allow you to live in Australia for about 24 additional months after studying.
- Applying for a professional year program will require a student to get at least a 6 band score in each module in the IELTS exam.
- In addition, the student will also need to complete a valid skills assessment conducted by the relevant assessing authority.
Attending a professional year program will allow you to enjoy several benefits, as discussed below.
After graduation, many international students often find it challenging to land a job that suits their field. But, if you attend a professional year course, it will open many pathways for you to find jobs offering a satisfying salary. So, in a word, it makes the life of an international student less difficult.
Many prestigious Australian institutes offer professional year programs, where they also guarantee internships for them. Most importantly, after completing a PYP, students also find a permanent position with the recruiting companies. Attending an internship program will also add value to your resume.
Another significant benefit that a professional year course offers is the opportunity to expand your social and professional circle easily. You will get the chance to meet numerous professionals in your field. It will pave the way for you to share ideas, goals, and interests with them, thereby enriching your vision. For example, do a professional year program in Accounting. During your internship, you can meet top accounting professionals, bankers, and financial experts and enrich yourself by listening to them.
When it comes to workplaces and specific codes of conduct, standards become different for every company and country. A professional year program will give you the chance to get workplace experience. You can also learn how they maintain the balance between the work demands and their personal lives.
Once you complete your professional year program, you can become eligible for the additional five points. And when you make your application for a permanent residency, you will understand the value of these five points. Thus, if you have fallen in love with the country Down Under and want to explore the land as much as possible, a professional year program can act as a catalyst to make your dream a reality.
The Government of Australia recognizes some specific programs for the three eligible academic fields.
- Suppose you want to attend a professional year Accounting program. In that case, you can enrol in the CPA Australia Skilled Migration Internship Program: Accounting (SMIPA), the Institute of Public Accountants (IPA) Skilled Migration Internship Program: Accounting, or the Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand Skilled Migration Internship Program: Accounting.
- For students with a degree in Computer Science, enrolling in the Australian Computer Society Professional Year Program will be mandatory.
- And for engineering students, the recognized program is the Engineering Australia Professional Year Program.
It is a known fact that having a job will let you cover a lot of expenses. You can buy anything you like or need, which also gives so much mental satisfaction. If you work in one of those eligible fields for one year in Australia instead of attending a professional year program, you can still claim those 5 additional points.
But there is one problem. It is difficult for an international student to get a job immediately after graduation. Even if you find a job, you may not be offered a permanent position. But, attending a professional year program will assure you a lucrative placement. You will get the chance to polish your skills and grab the best work opportunities with high-paying packages.
Over the last few years, more people are getting interested in professional year programs. If you have any specific queries, you can get in touch with the leading educational consultants in Adelaide, as they would take you through the entire process.
My self Steven smith, I am a wildlife photographer and travel blogger by profession. I love to write about education and travel blog.